Did you know that the Italian mayor of Affile, Ercole Viri, has spent €127,000 of taxpayers’ money to build a mausoleum and memorial park dedicated to the Fascist war criminal Rodolfo Graziani?
Did you know that the mayor hopes the site will become as ‘famous and as popular as Predappio’ – the burial place of Italy’s fascist leader Benito Mussolini – and a pilgrimage site for neo-Fascists?
Did you know that the gathering of politicians and notables at the dedication of the memorial also included a representative from the Vatican?
We condemn unequivocally this atrocious use of public money to celebrate a war criminal and a Nazi collaborator.
We call upon the European Union and our own governments to use current European and international legislation to:
(1) Demand that the Italian government and the Mayor of Affile issue an apology for allowing the memory of Graziani’s victims to be desecrated in this way
(2) Demand that the Italian government and the Mayor of Affile remove all allusions to Graziani, both direct and indirect, from the memorial
(3) Demand that the Italian government and the Mayor of Affile dedicate the memorial to all those in Italy and around the world who gave their lives in the struggle against Fascism
(4) Demand that the Italian government and the Mayor of Affile install a specific memorial at the site, which commemorates those Africans who died resisting Italian occupation of their countries
If you are as outraged as we are that a member state of the EU considers it acceptable to celebrate the life of a war criminal and a Nazi collaborator, then please:
- sign our petition http://chn.ge/PDQgs1
- join our Facebook page http://on.fb.me/ParhtJ
- contact us to offer your support